One of the best stones for energetic clearing is black tourmaline. Often thought of as a stone of protection, black tourmaline is one of the best crystals for anyone new to crystals or seasoned experts. You might find tourmaline in necklaces, bracelets, gem elixirs, near front doors, or even as travel companions. Since it's a relatively plain stone, you may be wondering why everyone reaches for it?
Simple, black tourmaline is one of the most powerful grounding, purification, and protection stones. This affirmation sums up black tourmaline nicely, "I banish negativity; I'm protected on all levels."
This stone is particularly useful for people who are experiencing high levels of stress anywhere in their lives.
Black Tourmaline Geology and Identification
In general, tourmalines are among the most crucial mineral groups because of their wide variety in form, function, and color.
Black tourmaline is a hexagonal crystal and part of the aluminum borosilicate family, and specifically, it includes magnesium, iron, and other metal elements that determine its color. It's found on every continent in the world, and the most common color is black. Black tourmaline has a Mohs hardness of around 7 - making it safe for the crystal to be in the water. It grows in these beautiful hexagonal need like formations, with vertical striations that may be visible even in polished form.
Black Tourmaline Physical Healing Properties
Don’t let the lack of vibrant hues make you think that black tourmaline is lacking in the power department! The physical healing correspondences of black tourmaline are profound. It helps to purify the body from toxins, heavy metals, and environmental pollutants.
Specifically, black tourmaline has many health benefits depending on how it is used, such as:
- Improvement of circulation
- Promotes a healthy mood
- Helps to detox from heavy metals and environmental pollutants
- Supports weight loss and reduction of bloating
- Supports a reduction of anxiety and stress
- Supports disengaging obsessive behaviors
- Supports a healthy immune system
Black Tourmaline Metaphysical Healing Properties
Often the line between physical and metaphysical healing properties is blurred. It will continue to be as science continues to uncover what mystics and ancient healing practices have always known - there is no difference.
On the spiritual and emotional level, black tourmaline grounds your energy, opening up the connection between the Earth and your spirit and providing a pathway for light to enter the Earthly plane.
Using black tourmaline in meditation, or carrying it on your person, even sleeping with it in your pillowcase can give you a hefty dose of cleansing in your auric field that carries over into your physical body.
Black tourmaline is useful metaphysically for:
- Grounding your energies to the Earth
- Cleansing your aura
- Psychic protection from negative entities
- Getting rid of negative thoughts
- Releasing anger
- Releasing unworthiness
Black Tourmaline Chakra Association
Black tourmaline is often associated with the root chakra, which controls our security, stability, and basic needs and all of the organs and body parts physically near the base of the spine.
Less often talked about, black tourmaline is associated with the Earth Star Chakra. The chakra just about 6" below the bottom of your feet. The Earth Star Charka is THE chakra of connection to the Earth and to oneness. It is the grounding point of the entire chakra system, and with black tourmalines special grounding abilities, you can see why it is a beautiful association for this chakra.
Black Tourmaline Crystal Allies
As with most crystals, black tourmaline is powerful alone or be enhanced with other stones. One of the best crystals to pair with black tourmaline is clear quartz. This serves to magnify its energies of protection and grounding.
Black tourmaline also pairs well with jet, obsidian, smoky quartz, or amethyst to enhance the qualities but use caution as some additions of the darker stones can bring energies too far down, and grounding can turn into stagnant energy or depression.
Ways to use Black Tourmaline
As mentioned above, black tourmaline can be used in some straightforward ways. You can use it in meditation, carry it on you in person, and even sleep with it in your pillowcase to benefit. You can use black tourmaline in jewelry or even placed around your house entrance to offer protection from unwanted guests on all planes.
Black Tourmaline Gem Elixir
Gem elixirs are liquids, typically water or oils, imprinted with a particular crystals vibrational energy. When absorbed either by consuming the gem elixir or using it in a bath or spraying it in a room, the body responds to that crystal energy.
You can custom create your own crystal water that resonates with you for any purpose. For this article, you will learn the steps of making a black tourmaline elixir that you can drink or use as an energy clearing room spray.
Here are the steps:
1. Cleanse and retune your black tourmaline. After choosing the black tourmaline that you wish to use, I recommend giving it a quick sound bath to reset its vibrational charge.
2. Get in the mood. I recommend trying to achieve a relatively calm state of mind when creating your elixir and trying to enjoy the experience. Often we're reaching for a black tourmaline gem elixir when we've had a rough day, so try a quick breathing exercise to begin to lower those stress hormones before you start mixing. Inhale for a count of four, hold your breath for a count of four, and then exhale to the count of four. Repeat this four to five times.
3. Set your intention. Take a moment to take a deep breath, Center yourself, and think purposefully about why you're making the black tourmaline elixir and the qualities of the stone that you were using, and how it will benefit you. Feel free to reference the information above to do this. You can even write down an affirmation and tape it to your Elixir glass if you choose.
4. Create your indirect black tourmaline gem elixir. Gemstone well provides a quick and straightforward method by using the Protection bottle. You fill the water chamber up, and it's ready to drink in just a few minutes.
5. If you are looking to make a spray that won't be consumed immediately, I encourage you to use the direct method (do not drink!) and place your tourmaline directly in the water, out in the sun for 3-5 hours. You can then package it in dark spray bottles to use in your home, work, or travel.
Black Tourmaline for Travel
Black tourmaline is a trendy stone for travel. There are several ways that you can use. One of the best and easiest ways is simply carrying it on your person, or wearing it as jewelry while you travel. You will reap all the benefits with this simple step.
You can use my tourmaline in a more active way to clear the energy of previous guests in your hotel or lodging situation. Hold your black tourmaline in your hand, sit on the floor of your hotel room or rented home Google, open a window if you can and say the following "please remove any traces of previous occupants.
A more accessible version of using black tourmaline to clear a space of negative energy, although it requires more forethought, is to create the Black Tourmaline Gem Elixir spray described above and then carry it with you to clear your car, home, aura, or travel lodging of negative energies.
Black Tourmaline Grounding Bath
One way to help feel grounded, rooted, stable, and to detoxify your body is to make yourself a Black Tourmaline Grounding Bath.
Here's what you will need:
Six black tourmaline stones
1-2 cups Epsom salts
2 tsp colloidal silver (optional)
6-8 drops cedarwood or juniper essential oil
½ cup birch chips (optional)
Fill your tub with warm water. Place the 6-8 drops of essential oil into the Epsom salts and then mix it into the tub. Add your optional colloidal silver and birch chips for an antiinflammatory and detoxifying boost.
You can beef this up by drinking a lovely anise tea during or after your bath is complete. You can also place one foot on a black tourmaline on the tub floor, envisioning roots from the bottom of the foot through to the Earth.
Black tourmaline is very versatile in its healing properties and uses. It is full of lore and legends and evidenced-based healing practices.
We'd love to hear from you - do you have any black tourmaline? What's your favorite use? Or do you have a black tourmaline question you would like our crystal practitioner to answer?
We often get asked who is the most reliable Black Tourmaline supplier. Our answer is always the same, healingcrystals.com. If you are looking for natural pieces, chips, or rods, click on the links, and healing crystals.com will automatically give a 10% discount off your shopping cart just for being a Gemstone Well subscriber.
We have been voted the best crystal water bottle by Buzzfeed recently. Check it out. This month, you could also win a crystal mystery box valued over $200.
*Disclaimer: Crystals are part of a sound holistic plan but should not be considered a replacement for a holistic health plan. As always, do your own research, your own due diligence, and check-in with your intuition - you are ultimately responsible for your own health and wellbeing.