With its shiny black surface, shungite is a lightweight mineraloid stone made mostly of carbon (about 98%). While it is widely used as a healing crystal, shungite isn’t scientifically classified as a crystal because it lacks a crystalline lattice structure. However, that doesn’t mean shungite doesn’t have important healing properties.
Shungite’s Physical and Healing Properties
Shungite isn’t necessarily much to look at. In its polished form, it’s opaque and black with a light sheen on its surface. The stone is mostly found in Russia, where it has been used to purify water for centuries. And just as it removes impurities from water during the purification process, shungite can purify energy when you work with it as a healing stone.
The deep black color of shungite absorbs negative energy, which allows you to focus on more positive pursuits. This is especially important in 2020, given the challenges humanity has faced this year. Additional healing properties of shungite include:
• Grounding your energy
• Protecting you from negative energy
• Aligning you with positive energy
• Cleansing or purifying negative or toxic energy
• Relieving anxiety and stress
Three Methods for Working with Shungite
Even something as simple as carrying a piece of shungite in your pocket, wearing it as a bracelet, or keeping it in your spaces is beneficial to help you align with positive energy during difficult times. However, you can make this stone even more effective with deliberate and intentional practices.
Start Each Day with a Shungite Meditation
Meditating with shungite in the morning keeps you grounded and centered throughout the day. Grounding is important, especially during difficult times, because it allows you to feel calmer and more centered, that alleviates anxiety, promotes positive energy, and supports overall physical, spiritual, and emotional health.
Try this simple, 5-minute morning shungite meditation.
1. Sit comfortably with your eyes closed and your feet flat on the floor. Hold a piece of freshly cleansed shungite in your receiving hand, which is your non-dominant hand (right hand if you are left-handed, or left hand if you are right-handed).
2. Focus on the energy of the stone and feel its grounding energy flowing into your hand and throughout your body.
3. Now, visualize that energy dropping down into your feet. Imagine the energy extending into the earth, growing roots from the soles of your feet into the Earth.
4. Extend these roots deep into the Earth, wrapping around some material underneath the Earth’s surface.
5. Now, visualize Earth energy as pink light, moving up the roots, up through your root chakra, and into your sacral chakra where the pink energy expands and fills you fully.
6. When you’re ready, open your eyes. If, during the day, you notice stress or discomfort, hold your shungite in your receiving hand again and feel its energy flowing through you.
Make a Shungite Water to Purify Your Energy
Use a freshly cleansed piece of shungite either in an diamond water bottle with other crystals or make your own crystal gem elixir.
To do this:
1. Place fresh, pure water (spring water is best) in a glass vessel and seal the container.
2. Set the quartz bottle on the counter with a piece or pieces of freshly cleansed shungite surrounding the container touching the glass.
3. Allow it to sit for at least two hours or up to a day.
4. Then, refrigerate the water and sip it throughout the day.
5.You can also add a few drops of this elixir to bathwater to infuse your bath with shungite’s calming energy.
Some people would prefer not to mix shungite directly with water. In this case, I'd suggest using a crystal water bottle that allows you to swap out your stones easily and has a separate compartment where the gemstones don't touch the shungite gem water.
Sleep Better With Shungite
Purify your energy while you sleep so you can wake up with a positive outlook. It’s simple to do this: cleanse a piece of shungite and place it between your mattress and box spring on the side of the bed where you sleep. It will absorb and purify negative energy so you awaken in a more positive frame of mind. Make sure you cleanse the shungite at least weekly, or more frequently if you’re going through a difficult or stressful period.
Give Shungite A Try
Shungite may not be the flashiest stone in your crystal collection, but it’s a workhorse that is especially helpful during difficult periods. It’s a healing stone everyone should have in their collection for its powerful energy purification effects.
About The Author
Karen Frazier is the author of multiple books about crystals and energy healing including Crystals for Beginners, Crystals for Healing, An Introduction to Crystal Grids, The Crystal Alchemist, Reiki Healing for Beginners, and The Little Book of Energy Healing. Karen is also an intuitive energy healer, Reiki Master-Teacher, crystal healer, and sound healer.